Free songs
Breaking news
Home / News / Teaching groups to embark on demonstration over compulsory GHS 509 deductions from allowances laptops.
Teaching groups to embark on demonstration over compulsory GHS 509 deductions from allowances laptops.

Teaching groups to embark on demonstration over compulsory GHS 509 deductions from allowances laptops.

All Teachers Alliance Ghana (ATAG), one of Ghana’s teachers’ unions has made known its decision to hit the streets on a demonstration exercise to express its dismay over the deduction of GHS 509 from their teachers’ allowances to pay for the government’s one-teacher one laptop policy.

The demonstration exercise which has been scheduled to take place on the 15th of December, 2021, is intended to draw the attention of the Ghana Education Service to refund all the deducted monies into their respective accounts.

According to ATAG, the deduction is being done without recourse to a court process seeking to halt the distribution.

Albert Dadson Amoah, the General Secretary of All Teachers Alliance Ghana, in a Citi News interview said “on 15th December 2021, they should prepare for us. We want to utilize this gathering to call on GES once again to promptly refund the GHS 509 to teachers.”

There are other GES workers who aren’t teachers but cleaners, cooks, security men, and etc. Some of these people earn monthly salaries as low as Gh700.00. If the government goes ahead to deduct Gh509.00 from their accounts, how will they be able to survive?

However, the Founder of the Innovative Teachers Association Ghana, Stephen Desu, has said that ATAG’s decision to embark on a demonstration is utterly unnecessary since there is a pending court case on the issue.

The government is requiring all teachers to pay 30 percent of the total cost of the laptop. Each laptop cost GHS 1,550 and government is ready to take up the remaining cost of 70 percent. Government believes that the one teacher one laptop policy will enhance teaching and learning process and also help in research works.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Scroll To Top